Frequently Asked Questions
|2019 Ticket Type||Early Bird Pricing
Through May 17
|Front Gate Pricing
Starting May 18
|Adult Weekend Pass||$26||$35|
|Senior (65+)/Student Weekend Pass||$15||$20|
|Youth (13-18) Weekend Pass||$15||$20|
|Adult 1-Day Pass||$10||$15|
|Senior (65+)/Student 1-Day Pass||$8||$10|
|Youth (13-18) 1-Day Pass||$8||$10|
|Kids 12 and under||Free||Free|
|Special Event Tickets||Member||Non-Member|
Some areas of the Fair accept credit card payment including the Front Gate, Silent Auction & Info Tent, and MREA Marketplace.
An ATM is located at the MREA Marketplace to supply cash if needed. The following areas of The Energy Fair accept cash only:
– Organic Valley Breakfasts (Saturday & Sunday)
– MREA Cafe
– Beer Tent
– Some exhibitors and food vendors
At this time public wifi is not available.
Wifi will be available to presenters and exhibitors.
Please check back for any updates.
- Most importantly, yourself, friends, and family!
- Hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen
- Rain jacket and umbrella – we’ll be going strong in rain or shine!
- Refillable water bottle
- If you’re an MREA Member, bring your membership receipt or simply tell your name to the Front Gate volunteers. (We are no longer mailing membership cards.)
- Business cards for networking; pencil / pen
- Camera or mobile device – tag @TheEnergyFair on Facebook and Twitter
2019 Dates & Times
Friday, June 21………………………………………………………9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Saturday, June 22…………………………………………………..9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Sunday, June 23……………………………………………………..9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sorry, NO PETS are allowed unless your animal is training to be or is a service animal.
MREA does not and has never sold any list of the sort. MREA staff and some fair participants have been experiencing a higher number of spam emails with Energy Fair attendee lists for sale. Please know that these solicitations are scams and the senders have not been authorized on behalf of MREA or The Energy Fair. We encourage you to mark theses emails as spam and then delete them.
2019 Exhibitor Staffing Dates and Hours
Thursday, June 20 (Exhibitor check-in and setup)……………9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Friday, June 21 (Vehicles permitted)……………………………….8:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
Friday, June 21 (Exhibits Open)………………………………………9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Saturday, June 22 (Vehicles permitted)……………………………7:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.
Saturday, June 22 (Exhibits Open)…………………………………..9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, June 23 (Vehicles permitted)………………………………7:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m
Sunday, June 23 (Exhibits Open)……………………………………..9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Sunday, June 23 (Exhibitor take-down)……………………………5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Once you register to volunteer our Volunteer Coordinator will begin to build your schedule. They will send you a confirmation that will include where and when you’ve been scheduled.
If you don’t receive a confirmation by June 1, please contact us at email@example.com or by calling 715-592-6595.
If you need to change your schedule please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 715-592-6595.
All campsites at The Back 40 do not have access to electricity.
All current members will be listed on our roster at The Energy Fair Front Gate and receive a membership wristband which includes entry for the entire weekend.
In order to expedite Front Gate entry, please present your membership payment receipt as proof of membership (this can be done by printout or phone).
Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com
There are many options for camping and lodging near The Energy Fair. You can even camp at The Energy Fair (but sites will sell out, so don’t delay in purchasing your campsite at The Back 40 Campground, sales begin April 1st).
For more information on purchasing a campsite at The Back 40, camping near The Energy Fair, local hotels, etc. head to www.TheEnergyFair.org/camping-hotels.
If possible, please register for vehicle charging before you get to the Fair. Once you arrive, please go to the Front Gate to pay for or receive your admission wristband.
In 2019, charging on Level II chargers is free, but the ABB Terra 53CJ requires payment, which will be accepted through GreenLots registration. More information can be found on the Clean Transportation Show Page (including the charging registration form).
Parking at The Energy Fair is free!
The 2017 Minnesota Energy Fair was a fantastic event, however, at this time, we do not have plans to host another Minnesota Energy Fair.
The 2017 Minnesota Energy Fair saw significant funding from a Department of Energy award that ended in 2017.
The workshop proposal form is available from November to April each year in preparation for June’s event.
Example: 2019’s Energy Fair workshop proposal form was available Nov 2018 to April 2019
Sign up to receive Energy Fair updates which will include when workshop proposals will begin to be accepted.
Sales for The Back 40 Campground begin April 1st on the tickets page.
Quiet hours at The Back 40 are from 10:00 pm to 7:00 am daily (please shut off all generators and music and keep voices low).
There is no dumping of grey water permitted under any circumstances.
The Back 40 Campground has one shower trailer available throughout the weekend. Port-a-potties are also strategically located throughout the campground.
Unfortunately campfires are strictly prohibited. Fire danger is extremely high at this campground.
At this time ice is not on site at the campground, however you can purchase ice at the MREA Cafe located on the fairgrounds.
There are three types of campsites at The Back 40 Campground:
- RV sites are located in an open field
- You will receive a campsite number in your camping confirmation (sent by email)
- Tent with Car
- Available spaces for purchase include 1-tent with car/ 2-tents with car/ and 3-tents with car
- You will receive a campsite number in your camping confirmation (sent by email)
- There is no driving in the walk-in tent area
- You will receive a campsite number in your email confirmation, but this is only to guide you to the correct area
- You get to pick your campsite once you arrive to the correct walk-in area – signage is on site to help guide you
- Cars must be parked in the parking lot at the campground
- Limited parking may be available along the road near the walk-in camping area, however it is first come, first serve
Orders are processed in the order they are received and within ten business days. If you selected to pay by check, you will not receive confirmation until we receive payment. If it has been more than ten business days, please contact us!
Your email order confirmation will be your entry ticket. Please have it ready to expedite your entry.
Ticket/membership purchase confirmations can be presented by paper or by phone. If you don’t have either of these items, we’ll have a roster of everyone who has purchased a ticket and/or membership.
Note: If you purchased camping, you will receive a unique confirmation indicating your site number.
In an effort to save resources, money, and staff time, we are no longer sending out member cards by mail. Your order confirmation is perfect for presenting at front gate for entry (by paper or phone). If you don’t have that, no worries, we’ll also have a listing of current members!
There are many ways to get involved as a volunteer with MREA. Your volunteer efforts will help promote renewable energy, energy efficiency, and sustainable living.
Some volunteer opportunities include:
Street Team who helps us promote The Energy Fair. These volunteers play an important role in spreading the word by distributing promotional materials and/or sharing The Energy Fair on social media. Please fill this form out if interested. Materials will be ready by April and can be picked up on Move Some Earth Day.
Join us for the transformation of the grounds for The 30th Anniversary Energy Fair! Move Some Earth Day (MSED) is an annual volunteer day that happens rain or shine. MSED be held on May 11th from 9:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m. Coffee, light breakfast, and an energizing lunch will be provided. To RSVP, contact 715-592-6595 or firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, address, phone number, and any dietary restrictions you may have.
Check out our other volunteer opportunities to make a difference year round!
Below are the jobs you can sign up for:
- Set Up Crew Member – Help us prep before the Fair; you can start as early as Monday, June 17! Heavy and light work available
- AV- Tidy Tent Helper- Assist with equipment and workshops
- Front Gate Greeter – Greet, answer questions, and sell tickets and/or memberships
- Marketplace Sales – Sell fair tickets and our merchandise
- Membership Recruiter – Sell MREA memberships
- Food Service Worker – Prepare and/or serve food, tidy up the cafe and/or dining event areas
- Bartender – Work under our Lead Bartender and serve beer (3.25 hour shifts, must be 21 or over, and sober)
- On Site Security – Monitor entrance gates, wristbands, and unauthorized traffic
- Traffic Controller – Direct traffic on Deer Road and parking lot
- MREA Info Tent Leader – Answer questions of fair attendees
- Grounds Crew Member – Empty garbage, recycling, and compost bins and educate fair-goers about waste
- Campground Supervisor– Check in campers, direct traffic, and clean trash bins
- Silent Auction Organizer– Set up, monitor, and tear down tent
- Workshop MC – Introduce speakers, clean up tent area, and distribute evaluations
- Pedal Power Ambassador– Pedal bikes to power our Main Stage!
- Promotions Advocate – Take pictures and post on social media to share whats going on at the Fair
There are so many ways to make an impact at The Energy Fair! It would not be possible without the 300+ volunteers who help make the fair a success. Without their help, the fair just wouldn’t happen. We hope you will join us as we pave the way to a more sustainable future!
Please note that the volunteer station does change locations and availability and does not have a place to store personal valuables.
When you arrive, please check-in at the Volunteer Tent
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your first scheduled shift to:
- Complete a volunteer waiver if you haven’t already done so
- Receive your Hardcore Volunteer T-shirt if volunteering 12+ hours
- Receive your admission wristband or Hardcore Volunteer Badge
- Verify if your shift(s) still work for you or if they require adjustments
- Pick up a map/ instructions for you volunteer shift(s)
- Grab some coffee and/or water before you head out (please bring a refillable mug/bottle to help reduce waste)
When you are done for the day, please sign-out at the Volunteer Tent (on Friday and Saturday after 7:00 p.m. the sign-out sheet will be at the Front Gate).
Why do you have to sign-out? Signing out helps us know the total hours you volunteered that day and allows us to build a better volunteer program in future years.
If you could arrive 15 minutes before your first volunteer shift, that would be great! During that time we’ll have you officially sign in, fill out your volunteer waiver if you haven’t already done so, get you a wristband or badge, pick up your volunteer shirt (if you’re volunteering 12+ hours) verify your shift and adjust as necessary, and make sure you know where to go for your shift.
Yes, please! Signing out helps us to verify the hours you completed and gives us a more accurate picture of how many hours were volunteered in total over the course of the event. This helps us to plan for the next event!
MREA’s volunteer station does change locations and availability. Please take note below.
Though the volunteer station may be closed, volunteers are welcome and encouraged to work shifts before and after those hours, sometimes those are the times we need help the most!
- Monday-Wednesday: 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Location: MREA Office Building
- Thursday: 7:00 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
Location: Volunteer Tent
- Friday-Saturday: 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Location: Volunteer Tent
- Friday-Saturday: 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Location: Front Gate
- Sunday: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Location: Volunteer Tent
- Sunday: 5:00 p.m.– 9:00 p.m.
Location: Near Beverage Tent
Our Volunteer Coordinator will try to match your availability, interests, passions, and abilities to the best of their ability.
Please note that some areas of The Energy Fair have their own high priority times or specific times when they operate. For example, our Pedal Power Ambassador position has very specific times that we require volunteers as they are powering our Main Stage for keynotes or live music.
The Volunteer Coordinator will try their best to schedule you in your chosen area(s), but sometimes positions fill faster for some areas or other areas may require more volunteers to effectively operate.
After you receive your schedule, please confirm that your volunteer schedule works for you. If it does not, then the Volunteer Coordinator can work with you to reschedule your shift(s).
No, but almost all of them are!*
|Workshop Type||Cost*||Length||How To Get Tickets|
|General Workshops||$0||50 min||No Tickets Necessary|
|Extended Workshops||$30-38||3 hrs||Energy Fair Tickets Page|
|Solar Professional Workshops||$0||1 to 2 hrs||Preregister to Expedite Entry|
*Attendees must purchase admission or an MREA membership to enter The Energy Fair, but volunteers can can get free entry depending on their commitment.
Prior to The Fair:
- Reduce: Fill out our paperless volunteer waiver form.
- Reduce: Pick up Street Team materials at our Move Some Earth Day event (May 11, 2019) – This reduces our bulk and general mailings, saves on our packing materials use, and reduces the fuel utilized by a shipper to get you the materials!
During The Fair:
- Reduce: Ride sharing with others or utilizing one of the fair’s pre-scheduled shuttle buses.
- Reuse: Bring a reusable water bottle and/or mug for beverages!
- Recycle: Help us educate other fair-goers on which waste bin to use (compost, recycling, or landfill/trash).
- Reduce/Reuse: Did you know that the Networking Dinner (Thurs), Organic Valley breakfasts (Sat & Sun) and the event’s special dinners utilize reusable dinnerware? This is all thanks to our many volunteers washing dishes day and night to make sure they’re ready for the next meal!