Located on 39 acres of wooded property, the Midwest Renewable Energy Association’s rustic campground is less than a mile from The Energy Fair so you can walk, ride your bike, or take the Back 40 shuttle to the fairgrounds. A shower trailer and porta-poties are available for your use.
Travel & Accommodations
Stay at the MREA’s Back 40 Campground
Back 40 Campground
During the week of The Energy Fair, both tent and RV campsites are available at our rustic Back 40 Campground. Sites are located just one mile from the Front Gate.
Site sales open 4/1/23 and remain open until sold out.
- Tent, walk-in: $20/night
- Tent with car: $25/night
- RV: $25/night
Feel free leave your vehicle parked at the campground while you walk, ride your bike, or take our complimentary to the fairgrounds. A solar-powered shower trailer and porta-potties are available for your use. (Please note, there are no electrical hook-ups available.)
Locally-made baked goods and fresh fair trade, organic coffee are available for purchase on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 5:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.
Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center
A group block code for the Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center in Stevens Point, WI will be available until May 24, 2023 or until the block is full. Please go to the Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center website, or call the hotel directly at 715-344-0200, to make a reservation. Let them know you are booking a room in The Energy Fair block of rooms with Group Block Code MRE!
Attendees are responsible for payment of any and all charges they incur during their hotel stay. A shuttle from the Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center to The Energy Fair will be available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Area Hotels, B&Bs, and Campgrounds
Please visit the Midwest Renewable Energy Association’s website for additional lodging and campground options. *Don’t forget to check out which lodging options are Travel Green WI certified.
For more information on Custer, the surrounding area, and Portage County, please visit the Stevens Point Area Convention & Visitors Bureau website.
*Listing does not imply endorsement from the MREA. For details and availability, please contact the site directly.
7558 Deer Road
Custer, WI 54423
Dates and Hours
Friday, June 23 – 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Saturday, June 24 – 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 p.m.
Sunday, June 25 – 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
The Energy Fair is held in Custer, Wisconsin – about seven miles East of Stevens Point. Nestled in the heart of central Wisconsin, Custer is surrounded by rolling hills, lakes, trout streams, and beautiful woodlands. Custer has been the home of the Fair since 2002.
PLEASE, NO PETS!
Dogs are not allowed on the fairgrounds, in the parking lot, or in the campgrounds. Dogs and/or any other animal found in any of these areas will be reported to staff and may be removed by the authorities.
For a small fee, you can keep your pet safe and comfortable at one of the following kennels:
- Wag Inn Kennels (Custer, nearest to The Energy Fair): 715-592-4972
- Country Paws Bed & Biscuit (Stevens Point): 715-544-4448
- Pawsitively Unleashed! (Custer): 715-347-3294
- The Barking Lot (Stevens Point): 715-341-9322
- Camp Bandy Pet Resort (Amherst Jct.): 715-824-3900
- Muckamoor Boarding Kennel (Plover): 715-344-8533
- COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES for checking out all of the events, exhibit booths, and attractions around the fairgrounds. The Energy Fair is nestled in the beautiful rolling hills of Custer, WI.
- SUN PROTECTION – Leave it to the solar modules to soak up those photons. The Energy Fair is held outdoors; we recommend lathering on that sunscreen, bringing a hat, or purchasing one in the MREA Marketplace.
- A SAMPLE OF YOUR WELL-WATER to have it screened for nitrates by water specialists at booth X18.
- A PHOTO OF YOU IN YOUR ENERGY FAIR SHIRT to add to our bulletin board collection in the MREA Marketplace. We want to see where you’ve repped your Energy Fair t-shirt pride out and about!
- REUSABLE BOTTLE to fill up on water, coffee, solar-brewed beer and hard cider, juice, and more tasty beverages served at the Fair. As part of our Zero-Waste efforts, the sale of plastic water bottles is prohibited.
- YOUR OLD INCANDESCENT BULBS and stop by the Focus on Energy booth to swap out your old bulbs for new ones. You’ll receive a brand new 60W ENERGY STAR LED for each bulb turned-in (limit 12 per customer).
- BAG FOR GOODIES – With over 200 exhibitors showcasing and selling sustainable products, a lively silent auction, and an artisan market, you’ll want to bring a bag for carrying around all the goodies you’ll score at the Fair.
- YOUR MREA MEMBERSHIP receipt, Lifetime Member button, or ID to get FREE entry as an MREA Member. We’ll have a list of members at the Front Gate.
- RAIN GEAR because the Fair happens RAIN or SHINE!
- CAMERA or SMART PHONE to take lots of photos and spread the word on social media. #TheEnergyFair
- EMPTY STOMACH to fill up on all of the locally sourced and energizing food and beverages that are available. Join us at the Benefit Dinner on Saturday for some tasty Puerto Rican inspired cuisine.
- YOUR KIDS for family friendly fun at Rainbow’s End Tent. Please note that children must be accompanied by a parent or gaurdian at all times.
- YOUR ELECTRIC VEHICLE to charge up under our newly constructed solar canopy and charging stations. Please consider showing your vehicle in the Fair‘s Clean Transportation Show.
- CAMPING GEAR if you’re posting up in The Energy Fair Back 40 Campground.
- YOUR DANCE MOVES for rocking out to the 10 musical guests featured over the weekend. If you have Salsa moves, we want to see them on Saturday!
- YOUR QUESTIONS & CURIOSITY are very welcome at the Fair. We encourage you to ask presenters and exhibitors all your questions regarding clean energy and sustainable living. Pencil, pens, and paper are good items to bring to take notes.
- MOST OF ALL WE WANT YOU TO BRING YOUR POSITIVE CAN-DO ATTITUDE AND GOOD VIBES TO THE 31ST ANNUAL ENERGY FAIR, JUNE 26-28!
FREE Milwaukee Bus on Saturday, June 24
Bus fare from Milwaukee to The Energy Fair is FREE thanks to Rise Up Midwest. Limited to first 24 sign-ups. Attendees must pay their own entrance into the Fair. Register at: TheEnergyFair.org/tickets.
We have the following timing and stops planned:
- 6:45 a.m.: Park N Ride near Holt Ave and I-43/94/41; free parking available
- 7:00 a.m.: Milwaukee Train Station (Southeast of I-43/I-794); free street parking may be available in the area; $8 for full day in parking garage
- 7:20 a.m.: Wauwatosa (US 45/Watertown Plank Rd); free parking available
- 9:45 a.m.: Arrive at The Energy Fair
Bus arrives at The Energy Fair at 9:45 a.m. and leaves the Fair at 7:15 p.m.; arrives in Wauwatosa at 9:30 p.m., Milwaukee Train Station at 9:45 p.m., and the Park N Ride near Holt Ave at 10:00 p.m.
Madison Bus (w/ stop in Portage) on Sat. June 24 – Only $5!
Proudly sponsored by the Four Lakes Group Sierra Club. Register HERE for the bus.
Attendees must pay their own entrance into the Fair. Tickets available online at: TheEnergyFair.org/tickets.
7:00 a.m.: Depart from Willy St Coop West, 6825 University Ave in Middleton. (Please arrive early and park on the street.)
7:15 a.m.: Depart from 357 Price Place (Hilldale Mall near the Great Dane)
7:30 a.m.: Depart from Kohl Center, 601 W Dayton St.
7:45 a.m.: Depart behind Hawthorne Library, 2707 Hermina St.
8:30 a.m.: Optional pick up in Portage, WI at 2990 New Pineray Rd if there are riders.
9:45 a.m.: Arrive at The Energy Fair
7:15 p.m.: Depart The Energy Fair to return to Madison. Will be back at Willy St West by 10:00 p.m.
The 2023 Energy Fair offers FREE local shuttles to and from Stevens Point. Shuttles come hourly during the following approximate times:
Friday and Saturday
8:00 a.m.–1:00 p.m.
4:00 p.m.–10:40 p.m.
Last afternoon shuttle leaves the Fair at 12:40pm. Shuttles will resume at Mid-State at 4:00 p.m.
The last evening shuttle leaves the Fair at 10:40 p.m.
8:00 a.m.–2:40 p.m.
The FINAL shuttle leaves the Fair at 2:40 p.m.
*Stevens Point Pick Up Times
:00 Mid-State Technical College
:15 Econo Lodge Inn & Suites
:25 Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center
:40 The Energy Fair MREA
Friday and Saturday: Shuttles will not be running from 1:00 p.m. – 3:40 p.m.
The final shuttle on Sunday will leave the Fair at exactly 2:40 p.m.; there will be no other transportation from the Fair to the hotels provided after this time. Please plan accordingly.
Back 40 Campground Shuttle
Camping at the Back 40? Leave your car and take our free shuttle to The 2023 Fair! It runs every 15 minutes Friday-Sunday during these approximate times:
Friday and Saturday
7:15 a.m.–11:45 p.m.
7:15 a.m.–4:15 p.m.